Modern power systems are interconnected and exposed to external as well as internal disturbances. The stable operation of power system (Power System Stability) is the subject of great interest for power engineers for the last few decades. Stability in power system is achieved by many means, but nowadays FACTS controllers, which are a family of flexible alternating current transmission system devices, are widely used to enhance stability. Among these is the unified power flow controller (UPFC), the most versatile and prominent that controls the flow of active power and reactive power and also stabilize the voltage at selected bus. This paper presents an approach towards stability using UPFC in multi-machine power system. The proposed work is implemented in MATLAB/SIMULINK. The power system is simulated with and without UPFC to check the performance of the controller under fault condition. The simulation results show that in case when UPFC is used it takes much less time to enhance power stability after fault occurrence compared to the case without using UPFC.
Shah Munir Khan,
Engineering Department, University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar,
Muhammad Naeem Arbab,
Electrical Engineering Department, University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar,
Shah Munir Khan Muhammad Naeem Arbab
-  N .G, Hingori and L.Gyungyi, Understanding FACTS, IEEE Press 2001.
-  D. Murali and Dr. M Rajaram, “Comparison of FACTS Devices for Power System Stability,” International Journal of Computer Applications,Volume 8-No4 2010.
-  Poonam Singhal and Parmard Kumar Madotra,“Transient Stability Enhancement of a Multi-machine Power system using SVC,” International Journal of Emerging Trends and Technology in Computer Science, Volume 4, Issue 1,2015.
-  M.M Eraty and Z Aydogmus “The Simulation Study and Dynamic Analysis of UPFC for industrial and educational purposes,”Volume No 5(121),2012.
-  Dr.P.R.Sharma and Dr Rajesh Kr Ahuja, “Performance Analysis of Multi-Machine System using UPFC,”International Journal of Advance Research in Electrical Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering,Volume 3, Issue 6, 2014.
-  Vibhor Gupta, “Study and Effects of UPFC and its control system for Power Flow control and voltage injection in a power system,” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Volume 2(7) ,2010
-  L.Gyugyi, “ The Unified Power Flow Controller: A new approach to Power transmission control,” IEEE Transiction on Power Delivery, Volume 10, No 2, 1995.
-  D.Murali and Dr. M. Rajaram,“Active and Reactive Power Flow control using FACTS Devices,” International Journal of Computer Application, Volume 9- No.8, 2010.