With the constant deteriorating of concrete structures and high cost of reconstruction, the need to strengthen them as they age is very important. One of the ways is the use of Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP). For the past two decades, research into the use of FRP to strengthen existing concrete structures is on the rise with the bond between FRP and concrete of high importance. With the evolution of these research fields, time is of the essence in this engineering world hence a valid finite elemental model will be of immense contribution. This current research seeks to analytically analyze the bond shear strength between FRP and concrete using ANSYS software. A control model is initially developed and compared with experimental and theoretical data developed by J. Yao et al. and, J.G. Teng and J.F. Chen respectively. The near-end supported (NES) single-shear pull test method was used.
Felix Pinkrah Boafo,
Hohai University, firstname.lastname@example.org, No.1 Xikang Road Nanjing, PR,
Professor Zhang Xuming,
Hohai University, No.1 Xikang Road Nanjing, PR,
Felix Pinkrah Boafo Zhang Xuming
-  “EN 1992-1-1 (2004) (English): Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings,” vol. 1, 2011.
-  A. Belarbi, S. W. Bae, and A. Brancaccio, “Behavior of full-scale RC T-beams strengthened in shear with externally bonded FRP sheets,” Constr. Build. Mater., vol. 32, pp. 27–40, 2012.
-  A. S. of C. Engineers, 2009 REPORT CARD FOR AMERICA’S INFRASTRUCTURE ADVISORY COUNCIL. 2009.
-  L. Teng J. G. , Chen, J. F. ,Smith, S.T., Lam, “FRP-Strengthened RC Structures,” John Wiley Sons, Ltd., 2002.
-  C. Dundar, A. Kamil, and R. J. Frosch, “Prediction of load – deflection behavior of multi-span FRP and steel reinforced concrete beams,” Compos. Struct., vol. 132, pp. 680–693, 2015.
-  V. L. Brown and J. J. Lesko, “FRP composites for construction : State-of-the- art review Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composites for Construction — State-of-the-Art Review,” no. May 2016.
-  X. Z. Lu, J. G. Teng, L. P. Ye, and J. J. Jiang, “Bond-slip models for FRP sheets/plates bonded to concrete,” Eng. Struct., vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 920–937, 2005.
-  “Astm D3039/D3039m-95a. Standard test method for tensile properties of polymer matrix composite materials,” 1995.
-  J. Yao, J. G. Teng, and J. F. Chen, “Experimental study on FRP-to-concrete bonded joints,” Compos. Part B Eng., vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 99–113, 2005.
-  Z. S. Hiroyuki, Y. , Wu, “Analysis of debonding fracture properties of CFS strengthened member subject to tension,” pp. 287–294, 1997.
-  H. Wu, Z., Yuan, H., and Niu, “Exprimental/Analytical Study on Interfacial Fracture Energy and Fracture Propagation Along FRPConcrete Interface,” Fract. Mech. Concr. Mater., vol. 201, pp. 133–152, 2001.
-  T. G. Chen, J., F., “A NCHORAGE S TRENGTH M ODELS FOR FRP AND S TEEL P LATES,” no. c, pp. 784–791, 2001.
-  K. Willam and E. Warnke, “Constitutive model for the triaxial behavior of concrete,” Int. Assoc. Bridg. …, pp. 1–30, 1975.
-  J. K. Macgregor, James G. Wight, DESIGN, REIFORCE CONCRETE MECHANICS & Design. 2009.
-  R. Santhakumar and E. Chandrasekaran, “Analysis of Retrofitted Reinforced Concrete Shear Beams using Carbon Fiber Composites,” vol. 4, 2004.
-  M. Maalej and K. S. Leong, “Effect of beam size and FRP thickness on interfacial shear stress concentration and failure mode of FRP-strengthened beams,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 65, no. 7–8, pp. 1148–1158, 2005.University Science, 1989