Recently, there has been extensive research on high impedance structure (HIS) and their applications in microstrip antennas and transmission lines. These periodic structures have unique property of preventing the propagation of electromagnetic waves for specific frequencies and directions which are defined by the shape, size, symmetry, and material used in their construction. These structures also facilitate in bandwidth enhancement of planar antennas. In this article, a mizrostrip patch antenna (MPA) is designed to operate at 3.5 GHz. Then a mushroom type HIS ground plane is designed in the operating band of MPA which is further integrated. Aim of this configuration is to enhance bandwidth of the MPA through incorporation of HIS plane, Bandwidth of the MPA is evaluated with and without HIS plane. All the designs and simulations are carried out in CST microwave studio.
Muhammad Saleem Khan:University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar Pakistan
Irfan Khattak: University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar Pakistan
Muhammad Sulman Khan: University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar Pakistan
Asaf Khan: University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar Pakistan
Muhammad Saleem Khan Irfan Khattak Muhammad Salman Khan and Asaf Khan Bandwidth Improvement and Reduced Size MPA Design using HIS International Journal of Engineering Works Vol. 6 Issue 03 PP. 113-118March 2019
-  A. Pirhadi, F. Keshmiri, M.Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, “Analysis and design of dual band high directivity EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS AS superstrate layer,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 70, pp. 1–20, 2007.
-  A. Sihvola, “Electromagnetic emergence in metamaterials”, Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, vol. 89, pp. 1-17, 2003.
-  J. Zehentner and J. Machac, “Volumetric single negative metamaterials”, Proceedings of Metamaterials Congress, pp. 22–24, 2007
-  N. Engheta, “Metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability: background, salient features, and new trends”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, pp. 187-190, 2003.
-  N. Engheta, “Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, issue. 7, pp. 1516-1529, 2003
-  W. R. Ziolkowski and N. Engheta, “Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 18 September 2006.
-  D. Sievenpiper, “High Impedance Electromagnetic Surfaces”, Ph.D. dissertation, Electrical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999.
-  P. Kovács, Z. Raida, M. Martínez-Vázquez, “Parametric study of mushroom-like and planar periodic Structures in terms of simultaneous AMC and EBG Properties”, Radio Engineering, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 19-24, December 2008.
-  S. K. Hampel, O. Schmitz, O. Klemp, and H. Eul, “Design of Sievenpiper HIS for use in planar broadband antennas by means of effective medium theory”, Adv. Radio Sci., pp. 87-94, 2007.
-  F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-samii, “Reflection phase characterisation of EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 10, October 2003
-  D. F. Sievenpiper, J. H. Schaffner, H. J. Song, R. Y. Loo, “Two-dimensional beam steering using an electrically tunable impedance surface”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2713-2722, October 2003.
-  G. Poilasne, “Antennas on High impedance ground planes: on the importance of the antenna isolation,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 41, pp. 237–255, 2003.
-  S. Zhu and R. Langley, “Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 926–935, 2009.
-  M. Mantash, A. C. Tarot, S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, “Dual-band antenna for WLAN application with EBG,” in the 4th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, pp. 794–796, Karlsruhe, Germany, September 2010.
-  M. Mantash, A. C. Tarot, S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, “Dual-band CPW-fed G-antenna using an EBG structure,” in Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), pp. 453–456, Loughborough, UK, 2010.
-  Shakelford, A., Lee, K.F., Luk, K.M.,“ Design of small-size wide-bandwidth microstrip patch antennas,” Antennas and Propagation Magazine, IEEE, vol. 45, Issue 1, pp. 75-83, Feb. 2003.
-  Ting-Hua Liu and Wen Xun Zhang, “Compound techniques for broadening the bandwidth of microstrip patch antenna,” Microwave Conference Proceedings, vol. 1, pp. 241-244, Dec. 1997.
-  AdilenaSlavova, A. Abdel Rahman and A.S. Omar, “Broadband bandwidth enhancement of an Aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna,” Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, vol. 4, pp. 3737-3740, June 2004.
-  Tao Yuan, Jian-Ying Li, Le-Wei Li, Lei Zhang, and Mook-Seng Leong, “Improvement of Microstrip Antenna Performance Using Two Triangular Structures”, Digest of 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, vol. 1A, pp. 301-304, 3-8 July 2005.
-  J.Y. Li, Zaw-ZawOo, and Le-Wei Li, “Improvement of characteristics of microstrip antennas using unbalanced structures,” IEEE Antennas and wireless Propagat. Lett, vol. 1, pp. 71-73, 2002
-  E. Yablonvitch, “Photonic band-gap structures,” J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, Opt. Phys. , vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 283-295, Feb 1993.
-  Balanis, C.A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1997.
-  Kumar, G. and Ray, K.P., Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Inc, 2003.
-  Cisco, "Antenna Pattern and Their Meaning," Copyright © 1992–2007 Cisco Systems, Inc.
-  B. Jecko, T. Monediere, L. Leger, “High Gain EBG Resonator Antenna”, 18th International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications, ICECom 2005, pp. 1-3, 12-14 Oct. 2005 12] R. Garg, I. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, Mass, USA, 2001.
-  G. Kumar and K. C. Gupta, “Directly coupled multiple resonator wide-band microstrip antenna,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 588–593, 1985.
-  F. Yang, X. X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1094–1100, 2001.
-  E. Rajo-Iglesias, L. Incl´an-S´anchez, and O. Quevedo-Teruel, “Back radiation reduction in patch antennas using planar soft surfaces,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, vol. 6, pp. 123–130, 2009.
-  Z. Duan, S. Qu, and Y. Hou, “Electrically small antenna inspired by spired split ring resonator,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, vol. 7, pp. 47–57, 2009.
-  F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Electromagnetic Band-Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering”, The Cambridge RF and Microwave Engineering Series, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2008.
-  M. E. De Cos, F. L. Heras, and M. Franco, “Design of planar artificial magnetic conductor ground plane using frequency selective surfaces for frequencies below 1GHz,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 8, pp. 951–954, 2009.
-  O. Luukkonen, C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, “Grounded uniaxial material slabs as magnetic conductors,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research B, no. 15, pp. 267–283, 2009.
-  H. Shaban, H. Elmikaty, and A. A. Shaalan, “Study the effects of electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) substrate on two patch microstrip antenna,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research B, vol. 10, pp. 55–74, 2008.
-  F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2691–2703, 2003.
-  J. R. Sohn, K. Y. Kim, H. S. Tae, and J. H. Lee, “Comparative study on various artificialmagnetic conductors for low-profile antenna,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 61, pp. 27–37, 2006.
-  S. Chaimool, K. L. Chung, and P. Akkaraekthalin, “Bandwidth and gain enhancement of microstrip patch antennas using reflective metasurface,” IEICE Transactions on Communications, vol. E93-B, no. 10, pp. 2496–2503, 2010.
-  J. Liang and H. Y. D. Yang, “Radiation characteristics of a microstrip patch over an electromagnetic bandgapsurface,”IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1691–1697, 2007.
-  D. Sievenpiper, L. Zhang and E. Yablonovitch, “High-Impedance Electromagnetic Ground Planes”, IEEE MlT-S Digest, vol. 4, pp. 1529-1532, 1999.
-  Qian Y., Coccioli R., Sievenpiper D., Radisic V., Yablonovitch E., and Itoh T., “A Microstrip Patch Antenna using novel photonic bandgap structures”, Microwave J., vol 42, pp. 66-76, Jan 1999.
-  Z. Duan, D. Linton, W. Scanlon, and G. Conway, “Using EBG to Improve Antenna Efficiency in Proximity to the Human Body”, Institution of Engineering and Technology Seminar on Wideband, Multiband Antennas and Arrays for Defence or Civil Applications, pp. 173-180, London, 13-13 March 2008.
-  X. L. Bao, G. Ruvio, M. J. Ammann, and M. John, “A novel GPS patch antenna on fractal Hi-Impedance surface Substrate”, IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 5, 2006.
-  R. Baggen, M. Martínez-Vázquez and J. Leiss, “Low Profile GALILEO Antenna using EBG Technology”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 667-674, March 2008.
-  F. Yang, Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Polarization-Dependent Electromagnetic Band Gap (PDEBG) structures: designs and applications”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 41, issue. 6, pp. 439–444, June 20, 2004.
-  Y. Fu and N. Yuan, “Surface-wave bandgap of Polarisation dependent Electromagnetic bandgap Structures”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 49, issue 4, pp. 946–949, 26 February 2007.
-  D. Yan, Q. Gao, C. Wang, C. Zhu, N. Yuan, “A novel polarisation convert surface based on artificial magnetic conductor”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, APMC 2005, vol. 3, pp. 4-7, December 2005.
-  P. J. Ferrer, B. Kelem and C. Craeye, “Design of broadband transpolarizing surfaces”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2606-2611, December 2006.