In past many researchers used industrial waste to improve soil stabilization as low cost material and to save environment. Keeping this in mind, an attempt is made to evaluate the use of Marble Waste Powder (MWP) to stabilize the spacious clay. Marble industry is producing substantial amount of slurry with fairly good engineering characteristics. In this study, the marble waste slurry has been added to the soil to reduce the permeability of the dam cores. MWP was mixed with the soil with different varying proportions. Laboratory experiment include atterberg limits, liquid limit, hydrometer test, falling head permeability test, moisture density relation test, sieve analysis were performed on the treated and untreated soils. The result revealed that addition of 10-15% of MWP to the soil significantly improve in the density and strength and at the same time reduction in the permeability and plasticity of the stabilized soil with respect to varying moisture conditions is also very much improved.
Abid Ali: Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology Peshawar, Pakistan
Nauman Izhar: Department of Civil Engineering, Sarhad University of Science & Information Technology, Landi Akhun Ahmad, Hayatabad
Qaiser Iqbal: Department of Civil Engineering, Sarhad University of Science & Information Technology, Landi Akhun Ahmad, Hayatabad
Tahir Hamad: Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology Peshawar, Pakistan
Rooh Ullah: Department of Civil Engineering, University of Engineering & Technology Peshawar, Pakistan
Abid Ali Nauman Izhar Qaiser Iqbal Tahir Ahmad and Rooh Ullah Improving the Mechanical Properties of Fine Soil using Marble Waste International Journal of Engineering Works Vol. 7 Issue 01 PP. 10-14 January 2020 https://doi.org/10.34259/ijew.20.7011014
- Viswanath S.M, What are the difference between clay and black cotton soil?, Durham University 2014
- Zumrawi M.M.E, Award M, Effect of Bitumen and Fly Ash on Expansive Soil Properties, Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, : 228-237,2017
- Arora D.K.R, Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering 6th Edition, 170S-B, Nai Sarak, Delhi 110006, 903p, 2003
- Saygili A, Use of Marble Dust for Stabilization of Clayey soil, J. Mater. Sci, 21(4) 2016.
- British standard (BS-1377-part-2). (1990) Method of test for Solid for civil engineering purposes. British Standard Institution. London.
- Zumrawi M.M.E, Eltayab K.A Laboratory Investigation of Expansive soil stabilized with calcium chloride. Int. J. Envirom. Chem.Ecol. (2), (2016)
- Pappu, A., Saxena, M.,Asolekar, S.R.Solid Wastes Generation in IndiaandTheirRecyclingPotential in Building MaterialsBuilding and Environment422007: pp. 2311 – 2320
- Saboya, F., Xavier, G.C.,Alexandre, J.The Use of the Powder MarbleBy-ProducttoEnhancethePropertiesof Brick CeramicConstructionand Building Materials21 2007: pp. 1950 – 1960.
- Zorluer, I., Usta, M. Stabilization of Soils by Waste Marble DustProceeding of the fourth national marble symposium, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey2003: pp. 297 – 305
- Bhavsar S.N, Patel A.J, Analysis of Clayey Soil using Waste Material.Int.JInnov.Res.Sci. Technol. 1(6):125–130, 2014
- Zumrawi M.M.E, Awad M, Effect of Bitumen and Fly Ash on Expansive Soil Properties, Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 4(9):228-237, 2017.
- Eskioglou, Panagiotis Ch. (1996). Influence of soil type on stabilization with marble dust for forest road construction. Department of Forestry and Natural Environment,Thessaloniki.
- Sabat, Akshaya Kumar and Nanda, Radhikesh P. (2005).
- Effect of marble dust on strength and durability of rice husk ash stabilized expansive soil. Internat. J. Civil & Structural Engg., 1(4): 939- 94
- NA Joulani, Effect of Stone Powder and Lime on Strength, Compaction and CBR Properties of Fine Soils, Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering, 2012, 6(1), 1-16
- Saygili, A. (2015). Use of waste marble dust for stabilization of clayey soil. Materials Science, 21(4), 601-606.
- Ali, R., Khan, H., & Shah, A. A. (2014). Expansive soil stabilization using marble dust and bagasse ash. Int. J. Sci. Res, 3(06), 2812-2816.
- Zorluer, I., & Demirbas, A. (2013). Use of marble dust and fly ash in stabilization of base material. Science and Engineering of Composite Materials, 20(1), 47-55.
- Bhavsar, S. N., Joshi, H. B., Shrof, P. K., & Ankit, P. J. (2014). Impact of marble powder on engineering properties of black cotton soil. Int. J. Develop. Res, 3, 158-163.
- Fırat, S., Yılmaz, G., Cömert, A. T., & Sümer, M. (2012). Utilization of marble dust, fly ash and waste sand (Silt-Quartz) in road subbase filling materials. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 16(7), 1143-1151.