Abstract— Latest trend in research tend to fulﬁll requirements of the most talked about 5G networks. These networks need to be engineered in terms of cost, energy and spectral efficiency, number of connected devices and latency. Cognitive Radio (CR) is one of the promising techniques to meet the above mentioned requirements that operates at microwave frequencies and exploits underutilized spectrum bands. Universal Filtered Multi-Carrier (UFMC) is a new channel judgment method that use multicarrier modulation scheme. UFMC is consider like an applicant for the 5th Generation of wireless communication systems and replaces OFDM .Latest research indicates that cellular networks are better operated with the novel UFMC with enhanced performance in terms of improved spectral efficiency, less usage of energy as well as latency. However, an emerging area of Information and Communication technology (ICT) are Cognitive radio based Sensor Networks (CSNs). Even basic observations using empirical approach can reveal important observations, especially if the above mentioned latest channel estimation technique (UFMC) , is tried and observed for CSNs. The option of CSNs as test bed is based on abundant use of the supporting in various social and military setups. In this work, part of frequency synchronization and channel estimation are explore and correlate with OFDM and UFMC systems with CSNs as tested, primarily with a computer-aided software simulator and also with real time experimentation in special laboratory if resources permit.
- Amjad Iqbal: Department of Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Syed Shah: Department of Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan. Email: email@example.com
- M.Amir: Department of Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering University of Engineering & Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amjad Iqbal Syed Shah M. Amir
-  G. Wunder, M. Kasparick, S. ten Brink, F. Schaich, T. Wild, I. Gaspar, E. Ohlmer, S. Krone, N. Michailow, A. Navarro, G. Fettweis, D. Ktenas, V. Berg, M. Dryjanski, S. Pietrzyk, and B. Eged, “5gnow: Challenging the lte design paradigms of orthogonality and synchronicity,” in Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), 2013 IEEE 77th, June 2013, pp. 1–5.
-  G. Wunder, P. Jung, M. Kasparick, T. Wild, F. Schaich, Y. Chen, S. Brink, I. Gaspar, N. Michailow, A. Festag, L. Mendes, N. Cassiau, D. Ktenas, M. Dryjanski, S. Pietrzyk, B. Eged, P. Vago, and F. Wiedmann, “5gnow: non-orthogonal, asynchronous waveforms for future mobile applications,” Communications Magazine, IEEE, vol. 52, no. 2, pp.97–105, February 2014.
-  B. Farhang-Boroujeny, “Ofdm versus filter bank multicarrier,” Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 92–112, May 2011.
-  V. Vakilian, T. Wild, F. Schaich, S. ten Brink, and J.-F. Frigon, “Universal-filtered multicarrier technique for wireless systems beyond LTE,” in 2013 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), Dec 2013, pp. 223–228.
-  T. Wild, F. Schaich, and Y. Chen, “5G Air Interface Design based on Universal Filtered (UF-)OFDM,” in Int. Conf. on Dig. Sig. Processing (DSP’14), August 2014.
-  F. Schaich and T. Wild, “Waveform contenders for 5G – OFDM vs. FBMC vs. UFMC,” in 2014 6th International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing (ISCCSP), May 2014, pp. 457–460.
-  F. Schaich and T. Wild, “Relaxed Synchronization Support of Universal Filtered Multi-Carrier including Autonomous Timing Advance,” in 11th Int. Symp. on Wireless Comm.Sys.(ISWCS’14), August 2014.
-  F. Schaich, T. Wild, and Y. Chen, “Waveform contenders for 5G – suitability for short packet and low latency transmissions,” in IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf. Spring (VTC’14 Spring), April 2014.
-  T.Wild, “5GWaveform Candidate Selection,” The 5GNOWProject Consortium groups, 2013.
-  M. Hasan, F. Nabita, A. Khandakar, I. Ahmed, and F. Ahmed, “Analytical evaluation of timing offset error in ofdm system,” in Communication Software and Networks, 2010. ICCSN ’10. Second International Conference on, Feb 2010, pp. 3–7.
-  X. Wang, T. Wild, F. Schaich, and A. Fonseca dos Santos, “Universal filtered multicarrier with leakage-based filter optimization,” in European Wireless 2014; Proceedings of 20th European Wireless Conference;, May 2014, pp. 1–5.
-  X. Wang, T. Wild, and F. Schaich, “Filter optimization for carrier frequency- and timing offset in universal filtered multi-carrier systems,” in to be published in IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf. Spring (VTC’15 Spring), May 2015.
-  J. Speidel, “Space time wireless communications,” University Lecture, Institut f¨ur Nachrichten¨ubertragung , University of Stuttgart, 2011.
-  A. Papoulis and S. U. Pillai, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes,