The emergence of Body Area Networks (BAN) in recent times has increased the interest of most researchers in the field of wearable antennas. Due to its widespread popularity most of the research has been done to improve the efficiency and flexibility of the wearable antennas for in-body and on-body applications. This work is the review of the recent development in the area of wearable antennas. Further the use of different textile materials has been studied and their performance has been compared with the ordinary used substrate such as FR-4 for wearable antennas. The results show that use of textile materials have not only increased the efficiency but also they are very flexible and make the antenna suitable for in-body and on- body applications such as medical and military. The properties of antennas inside human body, on human body and finally at some distance from the human body have been studied. It has been noted that as the distance between human body and antenna reduces the properties of antenna such as efficiency, directivity and gain degrade more and more. Also the resonant frequency of antenna shifts from its original position which is a very big issue and need to be rectified. For textile materials the shift in resonant frequency is not too much and also the degradation in other properties of antenna such as efficiency, directivity and gain are insignificant.
Abid Ahmad Muhammad Farooq Gulzar Ahmad Muhammad Amir Arbab Masood
- W. L. Stutzman & G. A. Thiele. Antenna theory and design. JohnWiley & Sons, 2012.
- J. Carr & G. Hippisley. Practical Antenna Handbook 5/e. McGraw- Hill/TAB Electronics, 2011.
- P. Nayeri, A. Z. Elsherbeni, & F. Yang. Radiation analysis approaches for reflect array antennas [antenna designer�s notebook]. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 127�134, 2013.
- P. Salonen, Y. Rahmat-Samii, & M. Kivikoski. Wearable antennas in the vicinity of human body. in Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004. IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 467�470, IEEE, 2004.
- S. Zhu & R. Langley. Dual-band wearable antennas over ebg substrate. Electronics Letters, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 141�142, 2007.
- F.-X. Liu, T. Kaufmann, Z. Xu, & C. Fumeaux. Wearable applications of quarter-wave patch and half-mode cavity antennas. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 14, pp. 1478�1481, 2015.
- Y. Liu, A. Levitt, C. Kara, C. Sahin, G. Dion, & K. R. Dandekar. An improved design of wearable strain sensor based on knitted rfid technology. in Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 2016 IEEE Conference on, pp. 1�4, IEEE, 2016.
- M. Seyedi, B. Kibret, D. T. Lai, & M. Faulkner. A survey on intrabody communications for body area network applications. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2067�2079, 2013.
- D. Wang, M. Ghosh, & D. Smith. Medical body area network (mban) with key-based control of spectrum usage. Mar. 21 2017. US Patent 9,603,024.
- L. Ma, R. Edwards, S. Bashir, & M. Khattak. A wearable flexible multi-band antenna based on a square slotted printed monopole. in Antennas and Propagation Conference, 2008. LAPC 2008. Loughborough, pp. 345�348, IEEE, 2008.
- S. Dumanli. Chanllenges of wearable antenna design. In microwave conference (FuMC) 2016, 46th European pp 1350�1352. IEEE 2016.
- I. Gil & R. F. Garc�?a. Wearable gps patch antenna on jeans fabric. in Progress in Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), pp. 2019�2022, IEEE, 2016.
- Y. Tawk, A. R. Albrecht, S. Hemmady, G. Balakrishnan, & C. G. Christodoulou. Optically pumped frequency reconfigurable antenna design. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp. 280�283, 2010.
- H. Boudaghi, M. Azarmanesh, & M. Mehranpour. A frequency- reconfigurable monopole antenna using switchable slotted ground structure. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 655�658, 2012.
- Y. Tawk, J. Costantine, & C. Christodoulou. A frequency reconfigurable rotatable microstrip antenna design. In Antennas and Propaga- tion Society International Symposium (APSURSI), IEEE, pp. 1�4, 2010.
- A. J. Agaliya, T. M. Neebha, & M. Nesasudha. Efficient wearable antenna design by patch area extension for body area network applications. In Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 2016 International Conference on, pp. 2130�2134, IEEE, 2016.
- M. S. Ali & K. Ali. Design and optimization of an e-shaped wearable antenna working in ism band. In Computational Intelligence (IWCI), International Workshop on, pp. 26�29, IEEE, 2016.
- P. Salonen & L. Hurme. A novel fabric wlan antenna for wearable applications. In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2003. IEEE, vol. 2, pp. 700�703, IEEE, 2003.
- K. Fujimoto & J. R. James, Mobile antenna systems handbook. Artech House, 2001.
- N. Oliver & F. F. Mangas. Healthgear: a real-time wearable system for monitoring and analyzing physiological signals. In Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, 2006. BSN 2006. International Workshop on, pp. 4�pp, IEEE, 2006.
- S. Kim, Y. J. Ren, H. Lee, A. Rida, S. Nikolaou, & M. M. Tentzeris. Monopole antenna with inkjet-printed ebg array on paper substrate for wearable applications. IEEE Antennas and wireless propagation letters, vol. 11, pp. 663�666, 2012.
- H. Nakano, K. Kikkawa, N. Kondo, Y. Iitsuka, & J. Yamauchi. Low- profile equiangular spiral antenna backed by an ebg reflector. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1309� 1318, 2009.
- Y. Huang, A. De, Y. Zhang, T. Sarkar, & J. Carlo. Design of a low profile end-fire antenna using split-ring resonators. In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE, pp. 1�4, IEEE, 2008.
- Y. Liu & X. Zhao. Investigation of anisotropic negative permeability medium cover for patch antenna. IET microwaves, antennas & propagation, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 737�744, 2008.
- E. Y. Kim, J. H. Yoon, Y. J. Yoon, & C. G. Kim. Low profile dual-band reflector antenna with dual resonant amc. In Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), IEEE International Symposium on, pp. 1800�1803, IEEE, 2011.
- F. Declercq & H. Rogier. Active integrated wearable textile antenna with optimized noise characteristics. IEEE transactions on antennas and propagation, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 3050�3054, 2010.
- A. Sabban. Wearable antenna measurements in vicinity of human body. Wireless Engineering and Technology, vol. 7, no. 03, p. 97, 2016.
- B. De Mulder, H. Rogier, J. Vandewege, & D. De Zutter. Highly sensitive, cooptimised active receiver antenna: its use in doppler radar in 2.4 ghz ism band. Electronics Letters, vol. 39, no. 18, pp. 1299�1301, 2003.
- P. J. Soh & G. A. Vandenbosch. Textile antennas for body area networks: design strategies and evaluation methods. Electromagnetics of Body Area Networks: Antennas, Propagation, and RF Systems, pp. 1�25, 2016.
- E. Yilmaz, D. P. Kasilingam, & B. M. Notaros. Performance analysis of wearable microstrip antennas with low-conductivity materials. In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2008. AP-S 2008. IEEE, pp. 1�4, IEEE, 2008.
- S. Sankaralingam & B. Gupta. Development of textile antennas for body wearable applications and investigations on their performance under bent conditions. Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, vol. 22, pp. 53�71, 2010.
- P. Salonen, Y. Rahmat-Samii, H. Hurme, & M. Kivikoski. Dual- band wearable textile antenna. In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004. IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 463�466, IEEE, 2004.
- P. Salonen, J. Kim, & Y. Rahmat-Samii. Dual-band e-shaped patch wearable textile antenna. In Antennas and propagation society international Symposium,2005 IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 466�469, IEEE, 2005.