In the power grid system, the prime subjects are to transmit power with supreme power factor and high power quality, supreme transient stability, economical and minimum risk of system failure. The constantly growth of electrical power demands and loads, particularly non-linear loads making the power system network become more obscure to operate and the system becomes unstable with large power flows without proper control and operation. The development in power system with time have brings new challenges and sometimes it is tough to operate system in stable condition due to complex system network. Though, on the other side there is vast development been made in power electronics, which helps the power system to continue in stable condition during most horrible condition occurred due to fault. One of the creation of power electronics is FACTS technology. FACTS (Flexible Alternating Current Transmission Systems) devices are created on power electronics and other dynamic controllers that provide control of one or more AC transmission system parameters to enhance controllability and growth power transfer capability. One way to enhance the power system control is by applying FACTS controller such UPFC (Unified Power Flow Controller). UPFC can control voltage, impedance and phase at alike time. The UPFC control scheme for the grid connected power system is simulated by MATLAB/PSAT in power system block set. By means of IEEE 9 bus power system network, the effectiveness of UPFC are tested by applying the 3-phase fault at dissimilar buses and evaluated the performance of FACTS devices in IEEE nine bus power system during fault condition.
- Noaman Khan: Department of Electrical Engineering UET, Peshawar
- Haseeb Ahmad: Department of Electrical Engineering UET, Peshawar.
- Amjad Khattak: Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering UET, Peshawar
Noaman Khan Haseeb Ahmad & Amjad Khattak
-  V. Mahajan, "Power System Stability Improvement with Flexible A.C. Transmission System (FACTs) Controller", Power System Technology and IEEE Power India Conference, 2008. POWERCON 2008. Joint International Conference on, New Delhi, 2008, pp. 1-7.
-  R.J. Nelson, J-Bian, D.G.Ramey, T.A.Lemak, T-R-Reitrnan, J.E.Hil1 " Transient Stability enhancement with FACTS controllers", Sixth International Conference on AC & DC Transmission, No.423. 1997.
-  P. H. Ashmole, "Introduction to FACTS", Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS), The Key to Increased Utilisation of Power Systems, IEE Colloquium on (Digest No.1994/005), London, 1994, pp. 1/1-1/2.
-  C. C. Davidson, "Power transmission with power electronics”, Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2011), Proceedings of the 2011-14th European Conference on, Birmingham, 2011, pp. 1-10.
-  R.M. Mathur, and R.K. Varma, “Thyristor based FACTS Controllers for Electrical Transmission Systems”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Publication ant IEEE Press, New York, USA, 2002.
-  Claudio A. Canizares, and Zeno T. Faur, “Analysis of SVC and TCSC Controllers in Voltage Collapse”, IEEE Trans on Power Systems, Vol. 14, No. 1, February 1999.
-  B.A. Renz, A. Keri, A.S. Mehraban, C. Schauder, E. Stacey, L. Kovalsky L. Gyugyi, A. Edris, “AEP Unified Power Flow Controller Performance”, IEEE Trans. PD, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1374- 1381, 1999.
-  N.G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, “Understanding FACTS concepts and technology of flexible AC transmission systems”, IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
-  K.K. Sen, “STATCOM-static synchronous compensator theory, modeling, and applications”, in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Winter Meeting, 1999, vol. 2, pp. 1177–1183.
-  Arti Pateriya, Nitin Saxena and Manoj Tiwari, “Transfer Capability Enhancement of Transmission Line using Static Synchronous Compensator (STATCOM)”, International Journal of Advanced Computer Research. Volume-2 Number-4 Issue-7 December-2012. 83-88.
-  L. Cong and Y. Wang, “Co-ordinated control of generator excitation and STATCOM for rotor angle stability and voltage regulation enhancement of power systems”, Generation, Transmission and Distribution, IEE Proceedings-, 149(6): 659–666, 2002.
-  Surinder Chauhan, “Designing of STATCOM Controllers for Transient Stability Improvement of Two Machine System”, Master of Engineering. Thapar University Patiala, Punjab-147004. July 2012.
-  L. Chun, J. Qirong, X. Jianxin, “Investigation of Voltage Regulation Stability of Static Synchronous Compensator in Power System”, IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, vol. 4, 2642-47, 23-27 Jan. 2000